Recipe for Honey Glazed Ham
During Christmas, apart from the traditional roast, Honey Glazed Ham is another very popular dish. Even after the Christmas celebrations, it is a complete delight to have the cold ham. It can be easily eaten with a variety of dishes. Even the stock of the ham can be used to prepare soups, stews, and sauces whenever you wish to have a gala meal.
- Clear honey – 350ml
- Leg of smoked raw ham – 1 (4-5kg)
- Onions – 2 large and halved
- Carrots- 4 halved
- Leek – 1 only (the white part)
- Head celery – 1/2 (Remember to remove the leaves)
- Bay leaves – 2
- peppercorns – 10
- Whole cloves – 30
- Double cream – 250ml
- Whole grain mustard – 150g
- Soak the ham for at least two days to remove the salt. Change the water every day.
- Place the ham into a large stockpot and add the vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns. Cover the ham with cold water and then boil it before you turn the heat down to simmer for about 3 to 4 hours. Then add some more water to the stockpot so that the level of the water goes above the ham.
- Remove the ham from the stock when the ham reaches a temperature of at least 55°C
- Before starting the roasting process, preheat the oven to 200°C. Then, remove the ham from the stock and let it cool down before you touch it. Strain the stock and utilize 2 ½ L of stock to prepare the sauce while the rest can be frozen for future use
- Remove the string from the ham and shave the skin from the ham with the help of a sharp knife. Remember to retain 1 cm of fat attached to the joint. Score the fats in a crosshatched pattern and at the intersection of the crosses insert cloves.
- In a large roasting tray, place the ham. Now drizzle honey all over it. To achieve an even glaze. Bake the ham for about 15 to 20 minutes so that the honey gets caramelized.
- Heat the ham stock in a saucepan, add mustard and then boil it. Pour this stock over the caramelized ham. Again bake it for one and half hour. At the same time, you’ll find that the honey mustard and all ingredients used for baking will reduce to a dark and sticky glazed ham. Remove it from the oven.
- Put some more ham stock on the roasting tray and boil is so that the components on the tray mix with the stock and enhances the flavor of the stock. In a saucepan, pour this stock and add cream, and gently simmer to make the stock. You may add honey and mustard depending upon your flavor. Do not add salt as ham already has salt content.
And there you go. Your honey glazed ham with sauce is ready to serve. Enjoy it with your friends and family, and have a great Christmas dinner.
For More Information visit our website: http://www.diamondscatering.com.au/